Friday, March 7, 2014

Tips for Running in the Snow and Ice

Okay, I have a confession to make - I have been avoiding my training runs lately and swapping them for indoor cardio workouts because I just can't stand the cold anymore.  At the beginning of the winter running season, I was excited and eager to workout in the cold.  I felt pretty bad ass completing training runs while it was snowing.  Overcoming the wrath of mother nature made me feel other worldly at times.

I felt pretty bad ass running in 15 degree temperatures with a wind chill making it feel sub zero

See that face? Yeah, it was happy to be covered in snow.  Did I care that I was cold? Hell no! 


I. AM. SO. OVER. THE SNOW AND COLD!!  I have dreaded each and every time I head out the door.  I feel like I live in a constant state of cold.  Winter, you win!  Congratulations - you have single handedly managed to make me dread my runs.  You've made your point.  Now please, take a cue and be gone!

 
I suppose, however, that all of this snow, ice, and cold has taught me how to navigate my runs, even when mother nature is raining down her wrath.  I hope these tips for running in the snow, ice, and cold help!
 
The first thing I learned is to dress in layers, especially over the middle.  When you're running you're moving your legs and your arms so those tend to stay warmer.  But you're not (really) moving your middle.  I tended to get colder around my mid region so I invested in a vest.  My under armour face mask was a god send.  Nothing is worse than being nice and warm except for your face.  Not only does it sting, but the cold chaps and dries out your skin. 
 
Those are just the logistics.  Obviously you want to dress appropriately for the weather.  The thing that frustrated me the most, however, was the constant stopping and starting again.  Running in these elements means having to take some extra precautions.  So how does one run in the snow without injuring oneself?
 
First things first, you simply have to slow down and pay attention to your footing.  The first snow of the winter made for a really fun run.  The problem was the snow never really completely went away.  Between daily melting and re-freezing and subsequent storms, there seemed to be an ever present layer of snow and ice on the roads and sidewalks.  I thank all the vigilant drivers of the greater Reisterstown and Owings Mills area; too often I had to run on busy streets because the sidewalk simply was not an option.  While I like to work on my speed, I had to learn to slow down and really pay attention to my footing.  While I love ice skating, the thought of slipping through the streets and the possibility of colliding with a car didn't seem all that appealing!
 
The thing that I learned was the most important was a proper cool down and stretch.  Of course it is always to cool down and stretch after a run (or any exercise for that matter).  It gives your muscles and chance to recover and actually cool down and a steady pace.  I'm sure we've all experienced the chills after completing a race - going from running to a complete stop in the usual traffic across the finish line is torture on your muscles!  They go from working and generating heat as a byproduct of the energy they are expending to completely stopping heat and energy production.  To avoid hypothermia, it is crucial the you get inside and stretch to allow your muscles to cool at a steady pace.
 
That's it for now my friends!  At least we are now getting little glimpses of warmer days ahead - who knows, maybe all the snow will actually be gone by the first day of spring!
 
Until next time...
Christina

No comments:

Post a Comment