Sunday, March 2, 2014

Know Before you Go!

The moral of the story this weekend? Know before you go!  With my marathon quickly approaching, I have entered a period of taper.  For those of you that are unfamiliar with this, the idea is that you decrease mileage (or lessen the amount of whatever activity it is you're doing) to rest your muscles.  On race day you'll be loaded with energy and your muscles will be itching to get moving! 

This weekend I had set out to run 13 miles.  Yesterday morning I headed out to one of my favorite trails - the NCR trail in Hunt Valley.  When I got there, I was disappointed to find that it was a sheet of ice and snow.  I gave my run a mile hoping that the trail would clear; it didn't!  I know, I know, I normally push through no matter what the conditions, but this time I was more concerned with avoiding injury!

This morning I set out on a road run around my mom's.  I know the roads here, but am not as familiar with the general amount of miles on any given route.  Unfortunately for me, I hit 13 miles with about another 3 remaining until I made it home!  Oops! 

Had I mapped my run before heading out the door, I could have saved myself the 2 1/2 miles.

The 15 1/2 miles I ran allowed me a lot of time to reflect.  The tranquility that running brings is immense.  Running, tranquil?  I know - it doesn't seem like something that would be peaceful, but when it's just you and the open road, the tranquility is beyond compare. 

In just two short weeks I'll be turning 30!  It's hard to believe that I'll be entering my fourth decade here on earth.  The past year has been met with many challenges, tears of joy and of regret, overwhelming lows and outstanding triumphs.  Running has helped me gain the confidence to face my fears and overcome obstacles both personally and physically. 

I may have logged two more miles than I anticipated today, but those two miles are 18 extra minutes of reflection, 18 minutes of pushing the boundaries and limits and rising above fear and expectations.

In honor of Dr. Seuss' birthday, my challenge to you this week is to push yourself just a little bit further, rise above what is expected and push the limits.  You may be surprised at what you can learn about yourself! <3





No comments:

Post a Comment