Friday, February 28, 2014

Make it a lifestyle

I can't stress enough the importance of health and wellness being a lifestyle.  I hear all the time how people have started fad diets like Atkins or South Beach with the intent of just "losing the weight".  People want a quick way to shed pounds and then they'll go to eating "the right way."  This RARELY works and quite frankly isn't good for you!  I'm not a registered dietitian, so please don't take this is professional advice, but simply what has worked for me and what I've seen others fail at again and again. 

You have to make a choice - a choice to eat healthy, incorporate things into your life that make you more active, and things that make you feel whole.  Being healthy isn't about looking like the latest swimsuit cover model because let's face it, she probably doesn't even look that way! But it also isn't what a lot of companies and individuals are promoting as "the new healthy."  Why should it be acceptable to be overweight?  Why shouldn't we want to be healthier so that we can feel better, be more productive, and lead longer lives?  Yes, we should learn to love our bodies for all of their imperfections.  I'm healthy, but I also enjoy eating certain foods and drinking a good glass of wine at the end of the day.  Doing those things means I'm probably sacrificing that washboard stomach I'd like to have.  But I've made a choice.  I'm happy with the way that I look because I feel great, have tons of energy, and am taking care of my body, mind, and soul. 

No comments:

Post a Comment